It's about Zen and Buddhism and how they affected Japan in general and its military in particular. Here is an interesting excerpt on the Zen monks.
Even such a prominent teacher as Ei-sai lived contentedly in such needy circumstances that one occasion he and his disciples had nothing to eat for several days. Fortunately, they were requested by a believer to recite the Scriptures, and presented with two rolls of silk. The hungry monks, whose mouths watered already at the expectation of a long-looked-for dinner, were disappointed when that silk was given to a poor man, who called on Ei-sai to obtain some help. Fast continued for a whole week, when another poor fellow came in and asked Ei-sai to give something. At this time, having nothing to show his substantial mark of sympathy towards the poor, Ei-sai tore off the gilt glory of the image of Buddha and gave it. The young monks, bitten both by hunger and by anger at this outrageous act to the object of worship, questioned Ei-sai by way of reproach: "Is it, sir, right for us Buddhists to demolish the image of a Buddha?" "Well," replied Ei-sai promptly, "Buddha would give even his own life for the sake of suffering people. How could he be reluctant to give his halo?"
Let us learn love, compassion and wisdom from the "pagans", who may naturally be closer to Christ than us.
That is an admirable passage. I'm interested to hear more about your study. In all of my reading I have found the samurai to be tyrannical and horribly violent.
ReplyDeleteI'm probably reading about the image of ideal samurai, or what samurai (or any person) is supposed to be according to Zen-Buddhism. And about some good examples of that. But I'm sure there were many people marching under the same flag who were very far from this image. Just like I'm far from what I'm supposed to be as a Christian.
ReplyDeleteHow come Buddhists be pagans? =) I can understand Hindus being called this way by Christians, but Buddhist?..
ReplyDeleteStrictly speaking, do they accept Christ as the Son of the only God, our Creator? I think not. Then, they're not Christians.
ReplyDeleteBut I also used quotes around "pagans", as they may be closer to Christ than us, as I mentioned above. :)
I don't say they're Christians, or even close to - that's a whole separate question =) I just asked about whether Buddhism can be classified as paganism. In my point of view - obviously not (although lay uneducated Buddhists worship Bodhisattvas almost as separate gods, lay Christians do the same with their saints sometimes, so it can't be used as a definition).
ReplyDeleteMy question was only about classification, not about some kind valuation =) Hindus are 100% pagan, but that does not necessarily mean they are "below" Christians in their theology, or not even Christian-compatible in any sense =) From some points of view, it's quite on the contrary...
But never mind =)
You know, your response triggered some research on my side and I just found out I knew a wrong meaning of the word "pagan". I thought it meant everyone except Christians and Jews. :)
ReplyDelete