Then began He to upbraid the cities wherein most of His mighty works were done, because they repented not:I always read these words as directed to those 2 cities, or to cities in general. Never thought they could be directed to persons. That is us. Me.
Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
(Matt. 11, 20-21)
He has done so much for me, and even Himself dwelt in me many times – through the Holy Communion. I could say I’m grateful and believing, but how could I still sin in my acts and thoughts? Not just by failing to be vigilant and attentive to details and thus allowing myself to go wrong way because of the carelessness, but sinning knowingly and willingly... What kind of gratefulness, belief and love is that? Is this true repentance - metanoia, change?
This people honoureth Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me.Woe to me... No wonder this particular one of the 24 has always struck me:
(Mark 7, 6)
O Lord my God, even if I had not done anything good before Thee, do Thou help me, in Thy grace, to make a good beginning.
Ouch, that does hit hard. Thanks for the meditation.
ReplyDelete