“It was cold in the morning and I dressed warmer. I was amazed that I dressed warmer.”
or
“Last weekend we went to a grocery store. I was tickled pink by the fact that we went there.”
Now that Vera is student-teaching, she brings home funny stories from the other side of the elementary school scene – that is, as a teacher. She was explaining to a girl, an ESL student, the word “slug”. What we all learned that day, by the way, is that “slug” is not only a noun but also a verb, and with a very unexpected – compared to the noun – meaning:
strike heavily, especially with the fist or a bat; "He slugged me so hard that I passed out"
So, once the girl looked like she understood the word, she was asked to produce some phrase using the word. And the phrase was:
“He punched me like a slug.”
So, Vera has her funny moments at school, and she brings them home. And I tell you – we were all laughing as if punched by a slug.
And my son just turned 6. We started celebrating the weekend before that - with our kids' grandparents. Then we celebrated in just our immediate family on the actual birthday, and we also plan to celebrate with kids – his friends – on Saturday. I guess it confused him a bit, since I heard him saying to his friend on the actual b-day:
"Today is my birthday! and on Saturday I'll turn 6."
It's fun to have kids!
Share your stories?
Evelyn, who just turned eight, has spelling words that she has to make sentences with - sometimes the sentences she comes up with are cute, sometimes embarrassing! It's an interesting perspective on our family.
ReplyDeleteWe celebrate birthdays with grandparents whenever convenient and then on their birthday with just our family. They always ask when their "fake birthday" is.
"Fake birthday" - that's a good one. :)
ReplyDeleteWell, we think that 1 day (per year) is not enough. So, we celebrate a birthweek or birthmonth instead. Every day.
Children sure do bring smiles and good laughs. We get plenty of them, but I can never remember them later to tell about. But I know what you mean.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like Vera is having a positive experience student teaching. Is that so?
I think she does. It's a demanding job and rewarding at the same time. (Even though not in a monetary way. :)
ReplyDelete