On Sunday morning, our daughter N. was the first to wake up. She found Lucy, our dear hamster, dead in his cage. She found him stiff and with open eyes, and she was a bit scared. She cried over him many times that day.
We suspect Lucy had kidney problems and became the cause. If that was the case, couldn't do anything about it, really... He was a very friendly living being, liked to be in our hands. Very lively (except when he slept) and funny (even when he slept). He gave us many joyous moments, and smiles, and laughs. Vera came home from her trip just in time: she had one more chance to hold and pet him. I wonder whether he was in pain at that time, and whether Vera's attention eased his toil, or he couldn't really notice the care anymore.
I'm troubled to think that he ceased to exist. Can't get my mind around that. Does he/did he have a soul? if so, was it really mortal? Can't be. This tiny beautiful little creature was so pure and sinless.

Sorry to hear of this passing.
ReplyDeleteI too wonder if our beloved animals will have a place with us in eternity.
All of us only exist after death and until the resurrection because Christ remembers us, as we hear every Sunday "May the Lord remember you in His kingdom, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages."
ReplyDeleteWhile we wait to be reunited with our bodies and enter into the life eternal, our loving God holds us gently and lets us live in His presence in paradise, in the bosom of Abraham, again, all of these names referring only to His remembering of us. We have believed in Him, and so we do not see death.
The same life that we receive from the Lord, we pass on and let it flow from us into all the creatures we have loved. We receive life from Christ and, in Christ, we dispense life to those creatures our love has tamed.
The Divine Generosity knows no limits in us, and we can rely on our Life-giving God to raise us up with all that He entrusted to our care.
Fear not, little flock, for it has pleased God to give you the Kingdom.
With a God like that, what or whom can we fear?
There is no loss with Jesus.
Romanos, thank you for the beautiful and inspiring thoughts!
ReplyDeleteAs I understand, you live in the US; why the Greek name spelling then?
Brother, like you I am a Slav by race, but a second generation American. I belong to the Greek Orthodox Church, not as an ethnic Greek, but as a spiritual one. I study and pray the scriptures in the original languages, in Hebrew and in Greek. I am an 'original languages bible man.' Romanos the Melodist is my nameday saint, and is a name hereditary in my family, both my father and myself are called Roman. For me, the name one bears is important, and should mean who we are. I am Romanós as a disciple of Jesus Christ. My legal name is my American name, Norman, but to most people I know, I am Romanos or Roman. Forgive me for this long explanation.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you, brother!
I wish I could also read the Scriptures in the original languages, at least the first 5 Books and the Gospels. Maybe some day I'll have time to devote to that; for now I'm occupied with little kids.
ReplyDeleteMy saint is St. Alexander Nevsky, and I feel it's not a coincidence: I feel like a warrior inside. Also, Alexander, as you know, means "protector", and that also describes my warrior-ness or its goal.
Are your sons grown up?
Is the your photo - at the right side of your blog?
P.S. I have a friend here named Roman, but that is his last name. The first name is Ivan. :)