Wednesday, April 27, 2011

that's life

On Bright Monday I visited the Russian parish I used to be part of years ago. I like to go there from time to time - mostly to see the priest again, as he's a very dear person to me.

Matushka told me a story of a 7-year old boy who attended the first Paschal Liturgy this year, and he said: "It was the best thing I have seen in my life! It was like I spent a day in Heaven - because that's what Heaven is: everything is beautiful and full of joy." I wish my experience was the same; although it was joyful, but definitely not to that extent. Probably need to become like a child first.

And the priest told me a story of their son who is no finishing his college education. He served in the altar since his toddler (or at least childhood) years, and moved out to another state to go to college. They recently found out that he had drinking and smoking problems, and then met and married a Muslim girl and is a Muslim himself, too. He told his parents of him leaving Christendom recently, and now rejects to even talk on this topic. They saw their daughter-in-law a few months after the marriage was done and are now trying to re-build the relationship.
That's life.
But Christ is risen! and their son was baptized and communed a multitude of times - that can't go without a trace, and I'm sure the grace is at work to bring him back - at the proper time. It's probably going to take a lot of time, patience and prayer. And - who knows? - maybe it'll bring both of these young people into the Church after all. Lord uses even our bad decisions to our good.
Got me extra-worried about my children anyway.

6 comments:

  1. Christ is risen!

    That's a very good outlook to have, that both of those young people would be brought into the Chuch. May God triumph in our lives despite ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All religions have attractive components, each in their own way. I do not know what drives people to leave one religion for another--something lacking in their life, I suppose. If someone converts to Christianity, I consider that normal. If someone leaves Christianity and converts, for example, to Islam--I wonder why. Of course, they see some positive elements which they do not presently see in Christianity or they see something that personally appeals to them.

    I think some chidren of priests and pastors, or those raised in especially religious homes, just feel compelled to break away, to become prodigal in order to return. I think of Franklin Graham who was Billy Graham's son and who lived a life that was so contrary to his upbringing. But, he returned to his roots.

    I'm sure it is a very painful situation for the family, but let us remember St. Monica who prayed for her son St. Augustine. It is a painful but impossible situation.

    Thanks for this stimulating post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Typo--I meant to say "not impossible" in last paragraph. Please correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I feel that with certain level of maturity kids become unsatisfied (and rightly so) with the faith that they simply inherited from their parents, not one they consciously came to themselves. They need to experience the Meeting with Christ on their own, and then they'll become Christians. That is probably how it is for most people (ex-kids), and often it takes a looong time. That's nerve-wrecking, but what can we, parents, do during those times? Only pray fervently from our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear brother Sasha, I wrote this post in response to yours, rather than leave a too lengthy comment here:

    http://cost-of-discipleship.blogspot.com/2011/04/unconditional.html

    God is faithful, even when we are not, but if we keep entreating Him for mercy, at all times, whether we see it or not, He will save our loved ones, especially our children. We can depend on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to think/feel that way too, but then... there is free will, and our children have it no matter how much we pray, and He will not violate it. I may be wrong, but that's tje way I see it. And it leaves me almost in panic.

    ReplyDelete