Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"Haikus for Jews"

While I was reviewing some of my old notes, I remembered I read this book quite a few years ago, titled "Haikus for Jews" by David Bader. Here are some notes I made at that time.

From preface:
"Perhaps the most brilliant poet of the Jewish haiku was Sheldon "Sashimi" Lepstein, according to his mother. [...] Some of his finest efforts were even more pointed and concise than traditional haiku, such as his searing one-syllable poem, "Oy!" and his two-syllable epic, "Gevalt!". He is perhaps best remembered today for the melancholy haiku:

No fins, no flippers,
the gefilte fish swims with
some difficulty."
And now - from the book itself:
The same kimono
the top geishas are wearing -
got it at Loehmann's.

"Can't you just leave it?"
the new Jewish mother asks -
umbilical cord.

Sorry I'm not home
to take your call. At the tone
please state your bad news.

The Jewish New Year -
in Times Square, no ball is dropped.
Where is everyone?

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Thanks for sharing this with us!
    Oy! What a great one syllable poem!
    Gevalt! That's a great one too.
    But the haiku, they're just
    too true, aren't they?
    Mazel tov, khaver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are true, yes. I know that for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete