Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Merton


Throughout his life, [Thomas Merton] studied Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Jainism and Sufism in addition to his academic and monastic studies.

He believed that for the most part, Christianity had forsaken its mystical tradition in favor of Cartesian emphasis on "the reification of concepts, idolization of the reflexive consciousness, flight from being into verbalism, mathematics, and rationalization." Eastern traditions, for Merton, were mostly untainted by this type of thinking and thus had much to offer in terms of how to think of and understand oneself.

Merton was perhaps most interested in - and, of all of the Eastern traditions, wrote the most about - Zen. Having studied the Desert Fathers and other Christian mystics as part of his monastic vocation, Merton had a deep understanding of what it was those men sought and experienced in their seeking. He found many parallels between the language of these Christian mystics and the language of Zen philosophy.
I can't believe a man like Merton wouldn't be aware of Orthodoxy. Did he fail to see in it that which he sought? or do we fail to live what we believe, thus people don't see it?
Poor guy... he was so close to it - and looked the other way. Or, perhaps, that was his path to our Lord.

4 comments:

  1. In your last two paragraphs, you ask some good questions and with much humility and compassion. Personally, I think Christians (and seekers in general) have to be aware of two great obstructions to truth: delusion and seduction. Some people have deep, internal, impure, psychological yearnings that can easily captivate the heart and lead the soul astray. But, I also appreciate Asian religions and culture and I do not judge them. I think their approach to medicine, for example, can sometimes be an alternative to Western diagnosis, pills, and surgery (sometimes!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good points, Aunt, thank you. I agree with you.
    My friend is a certified acupuncturist and I've seen a bit of the Asian medicinal approach from him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to avoid Merton because I thought he had evolved out of Christianity and Christ by his explorations and experimentation with Eastern religious and philosophical thought. Consequently, I've read very little of what he wrote. In the final analysis I think what he did was confuse a lot of people, and blur the distinction between following Christ and merely believing in Him.

    Now, I don't avoid Merton for any such reasons, but just because our paths are not probably going to cross. I have found Christ sleeping in the boats of the non-Christian religions and cultures, and all I want to do for the crews of those boats is awaken Him for them, and let Him awaken them to the Truth.

    Now I also find myself written off by some people because I am not afraid to go among the non-Christians and learn of them and from them. It startles people that I should know about the gods of india, for example, and that I don't think it is blasphemous to visit their temples or even to sing or hear their songs.

    But there is only One Divine Nature, One God, to whom all paths do not lead from our end, but by whom all things are possible from His end. And there is only One Lord Jesus Christ, the Word of God from before the ages who came to us as a little child, and as a young man died for us, and not only for us, but for the whole world.

    And not the gates of Hades or its captors could keep Him down or out or defeat Him in any measure, for He takes it captive, and releases all who seek Him from its darkness, all without asking our leave. And where I walk, following Him, takes me on many journeys 'where angels fear to tread,' and yet I trust Him. As I often say, there is no loss with Jesus.

    No loss, nothing and no one. 'I have saved everyone You gave to me, except the one who chose to be lost,' says Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there is a difference between people who were born and raised into Asian religions, and those who convert from Christianity. I am sceptical of Americans, British, and Europeans who convert to Buddhism, for example. Although I can understand their disatisfaction with the administrative and the cultural and social issues of various Christian churches--because I feel that way, too--I cannot understand any disloyalty to Christ (assuming that at some point they were 'born again'). If a Christian can study and appreciate Asian religions, even find commonalities without abandonning Christ or without interchanging gods, then that might enrich one's life and promote goodwill toward others.

    While I do not read Merton, let me contrast him with perhaps an unlikely religious figure: Tina Turner. As you know, she is a rock n' roll star, formerly of Ike and Tina. She was a battered woman. I do not know if she had a Christian upbringing. Anyway, she converted to Buddhism and has practiced a Buddhist chant for many, many years. She has a Buddhist altar in her home. Now, I mention this because I think she sincerely and devotedly practices her faith. There seems to be no confusion or blending or dilution; no attempt to justify the East or the West through a comparative religion study.

    It is possible that some people turn to Asian spirituality because the Christian path has been blocked by Christians, by misinterpretations of the Bible; and some because they are disloyal adulterers to the One who sacrificed His life for them.

    ReplyDelete