We’re watching the “Pink Panther” cartoons these days – the old ones, from 60’s. Kids are having a lot of fun with them, and we enjoy that simplistic animation and funny stories also. Yesterday I was baffled though when we watched the “Pink Panzer” episode, because as we were watching it I first thought of “Screwtape Letters” and then realized that it’s a simple explanation of “Unseen Warfare” at children’s level. Definitely wouldn’t expect that in those simple cartoons from 60’s... That episode made it very simple to completely deliver the idea to my kids as I was putting them to bed, although before I didn’t even think it possible to explain it to them before they get significantly older.
Here it is: The Pink Panther 011, Pink Panzer
Yes, don't waste the opportunity to explain spiritual truth to your kids as they are growing up, using the media that they are exposed to.
ReplyDeleteWhen my boys were growing up, one of the films we all watched over and over again was 'Tron.' We even had all the toys that went with the movie. They never forgot it, and even as adults they still consider the film 'Tron' to be an essential construct in their Christian life (altho they might not say it that way).
Tron, btw, is a very transparent allegory of Christian life in a world ruled by a world-system. It could be the Roman Empire, it could be the end times One World Governement. Whatever it is, it is always going to be, life is always going to be, an arena where the games are real, though most people don't understand that, and play the games as if they were mere games. But the Christian believes in and knows the One who wrote the game, and he knows Who he is playing for.
Same idea as apostle Paul uses in his analogy of running the race to win.
Anyway, great of you to post this. Even kids' cartoons can be a vehicle of the Truth.
When I was a kid, cartoons were shown on prime-time TV. My whole family (including mom and dad) would watch cartoons after dinner--we only had one TV in the living room and one telephone in the kitchen. Today, I cannot think of one current TV show appropriate as a family activity. Well, not unless you keep watching reruns of Bonanza. I am thankful for DVDs, because it gives me some control over the selection and quality of entertainment in my home.
ReplyDeleteSame here, Aunt: we control what we watch by only watching only tapes, DVDs & online videos now. We don't have the TV service at all, haven't had it for almost 12 years now - it's great savings of mental health and money too. :)
ReplyDelete