Someone told me a recent story. An orthodox priest was driving from Nevada or Arizona to California. He was driving on an empty road in the middle of the desert, nothing and no one around. At some point of his journey he saw a man waving at his from a distance ahead, and the priest stopped thinking that probably someone has a broken car or something like that. The man that stopped him, with long hair and beard, said something along the lines: Father, I need you to hear my confession. The priest, surprised with what’s happening, heard the confession, and that man then thanked him and walked away – back into the desert.
Now, would you expect something like that in America, in the 21st century? I honestly would not. Yes, I know, there is Father Ephrem’s monastery in Arizona’s desert, but... unknown hermits, guided to find the priest like that? I thought such stories belong only to the ancient Paterikon or “Orthodox countries”, such as Mount Athos/Greece, or Russia... Glory to God in His saints!
P.S. Also, saw many cats.

Glad to hear your visit went well. I was thinking about you. The struggles often open us up hearing what we need to hear. Neat story about that hermit. Now, I'm off to find that guy...
ReplyDelete-arsenios
Hopefully, it won't take too long for you - Arizona is not that big...
ReplyDeleteGlory to God for all things! † I am so glad to hear your story today...and happy to know you've had a good visit at the monastery.
ReplyDeleteAmy, I also saw the new leg - and my heart was comforted to see the joyous face on that photo. :)
ReplyDeleteMany blessings to you! and thank you for the empathy!