Two days before that he asked me to come to the concert; he really wanted me to come. I said I'll surely come as long as I can come from work on time. Thanks to our Lord, I was on time. But when he asked me to come I thought and felt: it is so precious that he needs me! that it's important for him that I come and see his performance. And it will probably pass: kids grow up and they want to spend time with their friends, not with parents. Sure, they'll still depend on our support: providing shelter, food and clothing for them, and driving them to places. But right now, in addition to that, they need us; not just all those things we do for them, but us!
A few months ago we were doing something together, my son and me, really enjoyed being together. And for some reason he was moved to say, that I'm not just his daddy but also his friend. It was like... being in love with someone, and then suddenly they say they also love you. I was swept off my feet by that little statement, overwhelmed and wanted to cry. One of the most precious moments in my life. I thought: what loving and caring parent wouldn't dream to be a friend of his/her dear child? That's a kind of achievement, although easy to lose, and a high plank to keep at. Hopefully, I'll still be among his friends in the years to come, and even in eternity.
I told him I'm not just his father, put in charge of him, but also his brother - because we have the same Father. He loved the idea when he realized that's how it is. So, I'm his brother, just a little older, and I'm placed next to him to love him, care for him, help him, and we'll grow together and go through life together. It is precious to hold his hand in mine as we keep walking, both physically and metaphorically.
Yes, how true! I have four sons, and it was, as you say, still a family of brothers. The mother and the father, the sons, all children together, learning from the Father, through Jesus, and taking care of each other. Family is what God has provided as the first step in learning how to live in the Holy Trinity. The Divine Nature: One, yet Three, the prelude to the new universe of One, yet myriads, that He has gone ahead to prepare for us.
ReplyDeleteGlory to You, O God, glory to You!
Thank you, Romanos! It is inspiring - to see a like-thinking brother. Glory to God for creating all of us!
ReplyDelete