Friday, September 24, 2010

"being is communion"

Our sin is not the result of an indebtedness, but rather the failure to live in communion with God. Humanity did not incur an unpayable debt at the Fall, but rather entered the realm of death (as God had warned).
We are a walking existential crisis – verging on non-existence itself. This is not a result of God’s wrath, but the result of our rebellion against the “good God who loves mankind” and our preference for death over life.

(Fr. Stephen Freeman, http://fatherstephen.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/existence-and-truth)
I'm amazed by people simply disregarding the teaching contained in the Bible: I decided not to believe it, so it doesn't apply to me. Of course, I understand their logic, but it just doesn't change the facts. When a child says "I have no father" (or a parent in general) - that doesn't make the Father disappear. And it doesn't make the child's dependence on the Father disappear either. How is going a child, an infant actually, survive without the Parent? Simply impossible. One could say: well, if your God is a so loving parent, why wouldn't He take care of the stubborn and ignorant child? Actually, He would and He does. But some things cannot be done by the Parent alone, they require some co-operation from the child; that's feeding, for instance, and learning how to live in this environment. So, what's going to happen to a child who willingly cuts the lifeline by rejecting/ignoring the Parent's care?
As Met. John Zizioulas has famously stated, “Being is communion.”
Sin is a movement towards non-being.
In other words, non-communion is death. Spiritual and physical.
It teaches us to pray as if our lives depended on it – because they do.
Exactly.

4 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. Thank you. I especially like the connection to prayer. I always need to be reminded of how essential this communion and prayer is to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read in a book by a Coptic monk very important thoughts that prayer and reading the Gospel are also forms of Communion with the living God, and should be regarded always with the same reverence and similar preparation as the Communion of Holy Body and Blood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here it is:
    http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Communion-of-Love_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ836533

    ReplyDelete