We experience the sweetness of Truth not when we do righteous deeds but when love for Truth pierces our hearts. And we become sinners not when we fall into sin but when, after falling, we do not hate it and do not repent.
Root of all passions is self-love; and all virtues start with disregarding self' comfort.
Saint Isaac the Syrian
(translation from Russian is mine, sorry if it's not easy to get through)
I really like the first part of the quote. I'm not quite sure about the second part. Something seems to be missing for me to make sense of it. I'm probably just not reading it right.
ReplyDeleteYes, I see the wording is not clear, I translated it too literally.
ReplyDeleteMade another attempt, take a look.
In light of that the "before" makes sense. I just wasn't reading it right. Thanks for the clarification. I get it now. Good quote.
ReplyDelete