Friday, September 3, 2010

+ he was all joy and light

A few years ago I met him at Holy Trinity Monastery grounds, in Jordanville, NY. He was already very old, this priest, father Boris Kizenko. Since then I've always remembered how fiery his prayer was, and how amazingly Gandalf-like he looked.



When I spoke to him back then, he was all joy and light. The gladness and reverence with which he received every person as God's child were so natural and... contagious! We exchanged a few short letters and cards over time. I even wanted to go to Jackson, NJ and see him, talk to him - with no particular questions on my mind, but simply to be next to him. Today I learnt that he "fell asleep in the Lord on August 27".



Of course, I had no real experience with him, yet I felt I knew him in a very deep way, with reverence. And now, although with pangs of sadness, I still feel that this son of God has walked his path well and is now rejoicing in the heavenly Kingdom.

Memory eternal to you, father. Pray to God for us.

+

4 comments:

  1. Memory eternal. I am still amazed that holy people like this exist today. How blessed you are to have met him. Please pray for us sinners, Father Boris. (Yes, he does look quite like old Gandalf.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been blessed to have met a few people like him so far in my life, some of them even being my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memory eternal!

    That first photo is really great! Do you own that image?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily!

    I don't own that photo. I found it years ago somewhere online (and downloaded it for myself), and can't find its source anymore.

    ReplyDelete