It is Rosh Hashanah now, which is a very important holiday for us. Yes, I am of Hebrew blood, but that is not the reason. It’s simple: no school today! Which means no going to school for children and no going to work for my wife. That gave them a chance to catch up on the sleep this morning, and also provided a relatively peaceful evening for all of us yesterday: we did not have to feed/wash/put kids to bed early enough so that they would get more sleep before getting up at 6:30am. Instead, we had some conversations an reading time, and after kids went to bed Vera and I even watched a movie – what a luxury!
We are watching “Star Trek: Next Generation”, 1st season now. Yesterday we watched the episode titled “When the Bough Breaks”. It was interesting to go through but nothing really to remember; interesting in a “mission impossible” type of sense: some seemingly unsolvable situation which is after all solved. But I keep recalling the very first season of “Star Trek” (1966) which we started to watch in the Spring last year because our friends, huge fans of it, mentioned it to us, and we fell in love with it and couldn’t stop watching for many months. While the visual effects were next to nothing and the decorations were very simplistic, more like of a theatre play’s than of a movie (which is itself a very nice thing), the questions asked in those episodes were philosophical and of great magnitude. And the characters were deeper. Those are missing in “Next Generation”; at least that’s how we see it. Watching “Next Generation” now, I keep thinking to myself: “Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent life here.”
“Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent life here.”
ReplyDeleteThat made me smile. I watched a few of those early episodes and they captured my imagination as well. Haven't seen the newer stuff, so can't comment.
How nice to have the day off.
I don't have it as a day off, but I'm glad about my kids and wife getting some rest.
ReplyDeleteMore good news: Vera's mom got her visa to enter the US, so she'll hopefully be coming here soon and help us out with kids for a while!